I have started reading more and more. How?
“How do you read so much?” I often get asked this question so I thought I’d do a post on how I read as many books as I do.
But before that here is a little stat for you. Back in school I read quite a few books and since back in the day we didn’t have (or think of having) a tracking app to track all the books I read I have no way of telling you exactly how many I much have read. But I am sure I must have read over a few hundred. Fast forward to recent years - I remember making a new year’s resolution back in 2010 (I guess), “I’ll read at least one book a month.” Which I’d say I did keep fairly here and there. Fast forward a little more and here is what I can say with utmost certainty, “I read 12 books in 2014, 23 books in 2015 and so far (that’s last week of February 2016)I have read five books. These are all first-time reads, and I am not counting the books I re-read.
So coming to the question, “How do I read so much?”
Well, these are all about what you call “much”. What’s much for one is “hardly any” for another. But here is how I read as much as I read.
1. I like to read. It’s an escape for me. It’s intriguing to me. I thoroughly enjoy the entire process of reading, imagining, exploring and experiencing things/places/people that only written words can allow.
2. I want to be a better writer, and so I read.
3. I make time to read. I don’t own a T.V., so I don’t spend time on it. I don’t watch many movies (much to my husband’s chagrin who is a complete movie buff).
4. I read all the time. Long commutes, waiting rooms, exercising, during lunch breaks, while doing household chores and mundane tasks…I read all the time.
5. I read/listen to at least one audiobook a month. I know this is a touchy subject for some. “Audio books are not the same as reading.” I agree with you but only partially. And this can be a topic for another blog altogether, so I’ll leave it to that for now.
6. I have a TBR (to-be-read) list for each month. Though I not necessarily (well, never really) stick to it, but I like to know exactly what book I’ll be picking up next.
This might make you think that I probably do nothing than read. But to tell you the truth, barring the last five months, I had a full-time job, and a tortured commute and I read the most during the last two years. And now I am writing my second book along with other smaller projects since I quit my job. I have a house and a husband who need my time and attention, and I blog frequently. But I still read…all the time.
The only thing I can not really say about is if you have a kid or kids. There is the only place I can say…or rather I can really not say anything as I don’t have any.
In case you were wondering what I have written, do check out my book over at Amazon. Just click on the image below to know more about Perfect Imperfections￼.